Director of Advancement
mHUB is a mission-driven 501c3 nonprofit economic development organization that launched in 2017 to enable physical product and hardtech entrepreneurship through providing a hyper-resourced environment and networks of manufacturers, investors, mentors, and customers. This strategic effort was undertaken by a consortium of manufacturing industry leaders to foster the development and commercialization of next-gen technologies (e.g., advanced manufacturing, medical devices, energy tech, robotics, AVs, etc.) and future business leaders. This endeavor has translated into supporting over 500 startups and manufacturers to launch 1,550+ products resulting in over $1.1B in sales, $1.45B in investment and exits, awarding over 445 patents, and the creation of over 5,138 jobs.
In April 2023, mHUB successfully completed a $50M real estate transaction leveraging several public financing tools for a new headquarters with the intention to relocate its operations to the Near Westside Opportunity Zone. This new facility is strategically located to improve overall accessibility and increase the impact potential of the organization. By October 2023, mHUB will complete its phase 1 construction plans and will open the new manufacturing and prototyping lab and incubator. Additional phases of construction, resources, and programs are planned but dependent on securing new partnerships and philanthropic contributors to realize.
About this Position
mHUB is seeking a proven fundraiser and leader to serve as the Director of Advancement. The Director of Advancement reports to the Chief Executive Officer, and as a member of the leadership team, directs the organization’s fundraising and public engagement efforts. With a primary focus on donor strategy, the Director of Advancement leads the advancement team in development, communication, and brand management efforts. The advancement team serves to engage current and new supporters, increase financial investment in mHUB, and build an increasingly strong and diverse network of stakeholders across the country. As the lead philanthropic fundraiser, the Director of Advancement spends considerable time visiting with and stewarding donors, partners, and prospects across the country and representing mHUB publicly as an extension of the executive office in order to secure major and transformational gifts for our work. When strategically necessary, the Director of Advancement works with the Chief Executive Officer to cultivate and request major contributions and support from individuals.
The Director of Advancement collaborates with the Board of Directors, works closely with mHUB’s leadership team (Chief Executive Officer, Chief Experience Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Director of Community Impact and Engagement), and leads an advancement team to set and achieve annual and long-range fundraising goals, measuring progress throughout the year to ensure success. The Director of Advancement collaborates with program staff to support funding needs and priorities and collaborates with the Chief Experience Officer and Director of Marketing and Communications to ensure consistent branding, clear and targeted messaging, and strengthened relationships with supporters.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Development, Stewardship, and Communications
- Develops and oversees the implementation of an annual development plan in consultation with leadership and advancement teams.
- Manages a portfolio of donors and prospective major donors by leading in cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship; maintains current documentation of activity.
- Develops and strengthens relationships with individuals, corporations, government agencies, and foundations.
- Spends a large amount of time traveling to develop relationships and cultivate donors.
- Delegates and oversees the creation of donor-related materials including print and electronic appeals, stewardship communication, and meeting packets.
- Collaborates with the leadership team to coordinate baseline annual fundraising targets with organizational strategic objectives and budget.
- Provide timely notice to the operations team of impending gift requests to ensure a clear path of accounting and procedures.
- Conducts and records outcome of measurable number of face-to-face visits with donor prospects to solicit major and planned gifts.
- Prepares or delegates preparation of written and verbal proposals, concept and informational materials, endowment and planned giving agreements, and other materials needed to secure major gifts in collaboration with colleagues, as appropriate.
- Solicits a measurable number of major gifts annually—in collaboration with Chief Executive Officer when necessary—while growing a pipeline of new opportunities to support future major gift solicitations.
- Plans and executes strategies to engage donors who have the capacity for making gifts at the major gift, program support, and impact investing.
- Collaborate with department leaders across mHUB including the incubator, hardtech development services, and accelerator programs to develop plans to meet annual and long-term performance goals for client growth and financial performance.
- Coaches, supervises, and evaluates advancement activities and ensures staff members have the tools needed to accomplish organizational goals.
- Provides guidance to reports and tracks performance against development plan.
- Communicates regularly with the development team to strategize about the status of stewardship, prospecting, proposals, and appeals; evaluates areas needing focus and growth.
- Contributes approximately 10% of the time to collaborative opportunities across the organization.
- Explores new ideas through professional growth opportunities.
Leadership Team and Board
- Participates actively in leadership team meetings to strategize and position the organization for the future.
- Meets regularly with Board members to cultivate and solicit major gifts for organization work and to grow our network of new investors.
- Coordinates meetings every other month with the Corporate Partnerships & Development Committee Chair(s) and prepares Board Advancement Committee activities, reports, and meeting agendas.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience.
- Personal track record of success in reaching and exceeding fundraising goals.
- Proven ability to establish objectives, set performance standards, and organize and motivate a team to achieve goals.
- Excellent organizational skills as well as written and verbal communication skills with expert-level proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Experience with fostering an environment of team selling and leveraging a consultative approach with corporate partners.
- Demonstrated project management, organization, delegation, and prioritization skills.
- Experience motivating and collaborating successfully with volunteers.
- Ability to act independently and operate with a passion and appreciation for the vision and mission of the company.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to develop relationships of trust and respect with development staff, colleagues, volunteers, and donors.
- Commitment to building a welcoming, inclusive, and equitable community where all people can thrive.
Salary and Duration
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a base salary and performance bonuses. Extremely competitive benefits package.
Email the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter
- Salary requirements
Position Open Immediately.