R&D Test Engineer
R&D Test Engineer at Sterling
The R&D Test Engineer must be task-oriented, extremely adaptable and possess exceptional, out-of-the-box problem solving ability. This position will lead critical R&D projects through the testing and validation process.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
• Consistently demonstrate commitment and support for the Sterling Vision and Mission, policies, and procedures.
• Pursue Continuous Improvement activities to ensure efficiency and effectiveness within area of responsibility.
• Assume other responsibilities and complete tasks as assigned to meet the on-going needs of the organization.
• Represent company in technical organizations, trade shows and sales demos.
• Manage all phases of the Product Development Stage-Gate Process including:
• Research and suggest new materials, methods and approaches based upon team objectives.
• Assess high-level business case and feasibility.
• Identify necessary technical requirements, restraints, specifications & certifications.
• Create and manage project timeline.
• Engineer solutions, produce prototypes, obtain samples.
• Develop testing procedures, processes and standards.
• Train team and external resources to perform testing.
• Determine sourcing, tooling, cost monitoring and test plan.
Testing / Validation
• Execute test plans, manage field studies and validate certification actions.
• Process data and analyze results.
• Iterate through scope, development and testing phases until project outcomes are confirmed.
Skills & Knowledge:
• Subject matter expertise in materials, testing design, testing procedures and testing management, etc.
• Character consistent with the Sterling Values and Business Code of Conduct & Ethics.
• Portray a consistent, positive and winning attitude with a team mindset.
• Self-starter, ability to handle criticism, flexible, works well with limited direction.
• Project management expertise and demonstratable experience
• Expertise in data aggregation, analysis, and presentation
• Proven leadership and collaboration skills with the ability to effectively supervise, coach, and influence employees, vendors and service providers.
• Strong analytical skills to analyze complex business processes and identify risk in high visibility, and high stress situations; quickly and accurately apply sound, well-balanced reasoning to each decision.
• Ability to identify opportunities to increase accuracy, optimize resources and implement solutions.
• Strong time and project management skills with ability to multitask and prioritize workloads.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; able to present clean, organized and thorough information and data appropriate for intended audience.
• Experience or trainable in forklift operation, wood working equipment and hand tools.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), MS Project, LabVIEW, MatLab, CAD software Project Management Software; ability to learn and achieve proficiency in new software applications.
Education / Training / Certifications & Experience:
• Preferred - Bachelor of Science in Wood, Engineering, Data and Analytics, Materials or similar
• Extensive lab testing, testing design and data analysis experience
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in wood science or advanced degree
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
• Up to 20% travel.
• Work in an office / outdoor environment.
• Required to work overtime or weekends as defined by the needs of the department.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• The employee must occasionally climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and walk and talk or hear; and use hands to finger, handle, or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Travel and jobsite visits are required.
• Must be able to access all levels of a construction site, yard, traverse uneven terrain, enter and exit equipment.
Reports to: Director of R&D
Company Affiliation: SSAS
Primary Work Location: Phoenix, IL
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the role.
TO APPLY: Email Jeff Faye