Executive Director, Incubator
**APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT INFORMATION AS DIRECTED ON THIS PAGE. LinkedIn.com-ONLY SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED**
mHUB is seeking to bring on a high-performing executive director to lead the day-to-day execution of the organization’s rapidly growing and nationally recognized hardtech incubator. This key leadership position will support mHUB’s efforts to establish partnerships, networks, and other resources that are vital components of a thriving hardtech entrepreneurial innovation ecosystem. The ED will directly oversee teams leading programmatic activities that support member entrepreneurs and small businesses including education and mentorship, community development, and other member resources, Chicago community impact and diversity, equity, and inclusion programs. The role will also oversee business development teams to drive industry engagement and mHUB’s Hardtech Innovation Services. mHUB has had tremendous growth since its launch five years ago and is a catalyst for the country’s focus on manufacturing and innovation as key drivers of job creation and economic growth. This is a pivotal time in the organization’s trajectory with expansion across the incubation as well as in all areas of the business. There are many exciting opportunities in the near term including the raising of a growth venture fund, expanding the organization’s targeted accelerator, securing state and federal grants, leading economic development programs, and additional business expansion opportunities.
We are seeking an individual that has previous experience working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and possesses strong people, leadership, and operational skills with demonstrated success in building high-performance organizations. The role offers a wide range of professional experiences across early-stage entrepreneurship, venture capital, corporate innovation, and economic development.
The executive director is responsible for supporting the leadership team in developing and executing the strategy associated with mHUB’s incubator. This is an internal- and- external-facing role that will drive future growth and operational efficiencies across mHUB’s central business unit with a priority of supporting new initiatives to expand resources for DEI and other community engagement priorities. This position will report directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer of mHUB and work in coordination with the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Experience Officer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide general oversight of all mHUB incubator/innovation center activities, manage day-to-day operations and ensure a smooth functioning and efficient organization
- Conduct outreach to industry partners and build strategic partnerships
- Assist in the design and development of marketing and communications plan, including management of multifaceted marketing/outreach campaign
- Evaluate and ensure the growth of the organization’s publicly reported key performance indicators including but not limited to business creation, total employees hired, total jobs supported, total revenue generated, total invested capital, patents awarded
- Build and maintain a database for relevant industry targets and resource providers to expand the network to support early-stage entrepreneurs
- Establish strong relationships with manufacturers and the development of manufacturing and business services supplier network
- Support the development and resourcing of strategic programs including Catalyze and Hardtech Development Services
- Manage day-to-day business development strategies to deliver business growth with core audiences including startup members, foundations, philanthropy, and industry partners
- Assist mHUB in obtaining and securing additional public and private funding to launch and sustain multiple economic development projects and initiatives
- Identify and coordinate cross-functional requirements/interdependencies of projects with teams
- Manage P/L of the incubator and ensure sustainable growth and program offerings
- A strategic, systems, and creative thinker comfortable debating and defending your ideas
- An ability to provide financial and other quantitative analysis and process mapping for process improvement
- An ability to thrive in ambiguous and dynamic environments and perform best when new information, projects, and decisions come fast. Working with velocity and flexibility is a preferred approach
- A strong understanding of business profitability drivers to proactively engage in conversations between stakeholders and make recommendations to the executive managers
- Team-first professionalism with a passion for fostering a culture of efficiency and high performance while driving results, strategic outcomes, and operational accountability and improvements
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master of Business Administration, Engineering, Public Policy, or Economics preferred
- 15+years of work experience with 7+ years of experience in a management role with clear ownership of P/Ls and deliverables
- Demonstrated experience developing strategic plans, securing key stakeholder buy-in, and fundraising from corporate, philanthropic, and public sources
- Proven ability to communicate and work effectively with executive-level leadership
- An entrepreneurial approach is a must, and experience working in a start-up environment with evolving priorities and processes preferred
- Strong technical proficiency in MS Office products: Visio, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Passion for interacting in a positive and creative manner with customers, team members, and developing partners
- Proven ability to raise more than $2M in public and private funding to launch a new social venture or program
- A passion for civic engagement that makes a difference in the region’s future economic growth and vitality
- Intimate knowledge and relationships within the manufacturing industry and entrepreneurial ecosystem
mHUB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. mHUB is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at mHUB are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. mHUB will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. mHUB encourages applicants of all ages.
Salary and Duration
Our comprehensive and competitive benefits include a generous PTO and 401(k) plan as well as medical, vision, dental plans, and participation in carried interest profit sharing.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following items by email to info@mHUBChicago.com by July 31, 2022:
- Cover letter
- Salary Requirements
mHUB is a mission-driven 501c3 nonprofit economic development organization that launched in 2017 to enable hardtech and physical product entrepreneurship through providing a hyper-resourced environment and networks of manufacturers, investors, mentors, and customers. This strategic effort was undertaken by a consortium of manufacturing industry leaders to foster the development and commercialization of next-gen technologies (e.g., advanced manufacturing, medical devices, energy tech, robotics, AVs, etc.) and future business leaders. This endeavor has translated into supporting over 428 startups and 200 manufacturers launching 1,200 products resulting in over $775M in sales, $1.3B in investment and exits, awarding over 411 patents, spending over $30M a year with U.S. manufacturers, and the creation of over 3,989 jobs.