Business Development Manager
The Business Development Manager is a key member of the development team with responsibilities for developing partnership and customer opportunities within the manufacturing and technology industries. This is an external-facing role that will drive future growth across mHUB’s three business units – its non-profit incubator, outsourced R&D consultancy, and accelerator and venture fund – and will support new initiatives to expand resources for DEI and other community engagement programming. This position will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and work in partnership across the different mHUB division sales teams.
The Business Development Manager joins the organization at an exciting growth stage of the business. Coming off the heels of a $51M building transaction and achieving continued scaling across all three business units.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop a strong understanding of mHUB’s suite of services and programs and differentiated value proposition;
- Identify, build, and maintain relationships with industry clients and prospects while identifying cross-selling and up-selling opportunities;
- Drive client renewals and engagement growth, financial performance, quality, and client satisfaction;
- Establish a keen focus on securing large strategic deals and partnerships that will protect, promote, and enable the company’s interests and long-term sustainability
- Establish Business Development KPIs and track key metrics which align with the strategy and focus on leading indicators of retention and business expansions and lagging indicators of profitability per client;
- Strategically target companies, network, and participate in key industry events and conferences to identify new growth opportunities;
- Collaborate with department leaders across mHUB including Marketing, Programs & Engagement, Hardtech Development Services, and Venture team to develop plans to meet annual and long-term performance goals for client growth and financial performance;
- Prepare and peer review proposals and contracts;
- Support development and ongoing adoption of customer relations management systems
- Support board engagement with the Corporate Partnership & Development committee, including but not limited to agenda setting, reporting, board activation, etc.
- Support the development of all revenue targets across all revenue-generating activities
- Develop monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting for leadership and maintain appropriate ongoing projections and goal-setting;
- Develop an annual development-related expense budget based on quarterly spending and seek to minimize expenses as appropriate;
- Demonstrate ability to operate successfully in the c-suite as well as with technology leaders of multi-billion-dollar companies, developing relationships at the executive level;
- Perform other related duties as assigned or as responsibilities dictate.
- 8+ years of business development experience, primarily in manufacturing, consulting, and technology; with 5+ years of direct management experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master of Business Administration, public policy, economics, engineering, and technology preferred
- Entrepreneurial mindset – ability to plan, build, and cultivate a new market
- Leadership capabilities to successfully work cross-functionally and collaboratively
- Significant client relationship, influencing, and management experience
- Excellent organizational skills as well as written and verbal communication skills
- Expert-level proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Experience with entrepreneurship, community development, or economic development
- Have a passion for driving aggressive growth opportunities
- Experience with fostering an environment of team selling and leveraging a consultative approach with corporate partners
- Ability to take complicated technical concepts and translate them to a general audience in a compelling, succinct manner
Salary and Duration
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Additional bonus opportunities are available. mHUB offers an extremely competitive benefits package.
To apply, please submit the following items by email to info@mHUBChicago.com by February 5, 2024.
- Cover letter
mHUB is a mission-driven 501c3 nonprofit economic development organization that launched in 2017 to enable physical product and hardtech entrepreneurship through providing a hyper-resourced environment and networks of manufacturers, investors, mentors, and customers. This strategic effort was undertaken by a consortium of manufacturing industry leaders to foster the development and commercialization of next-gen technologies (e.g., advanced manufacturing, medical devices, energy tech, robotics, AVs, etc.) and future business leaders. This endeavor has translated into supporting over 528 startups to launch 1,200 products resulting in over $1.1B in sales, $1.5B in investment and exits, awarding over 511 patents, spending over $30M a year with U.S. manufacturers, and the creation of over 5,136 jobs.